Athens – Herod Atticus Odeon
The monument, which was the third odeon in Athens, was constructed during the 2nd century AD; its construction was sponsored by Tiberius Claudius Herod Atticus in remembrance of his wife Regilla, who died in 160 AD.
The Odeon was roofed and served mainly musical festivals. It could host up to 5,000 spectators.
It was destroyed in 267 BC at the incursion of the Heruli (or Erils).
The monument was restored during 1952-1953 BC using marble from the Dionysos area; since 1957 it stages art festivals (concerts and ancient drama performances among others) mostly in the framework of the Athens Festival.
- July 2014: Manolis Mitsias in concert (02) | Anniversary of the Ionian Islands’ union with Greece (04) | Y. Markopoulos: From here on now (06) | Concert by two great orchestras (08) | Eleonora Zouganeli in a tribute to Melina Merkouri (10) | Nana Mouskouri in concert (14) | Armonia Atenea: A tribute to Beatles (17) | Giuseppe Verdi: Otello (27, 29, 30, 31)
- June 2014: W.A. Mozart: Don Giovanni | Mario Frangoulis in concert in Herodeion | Concert by Charles Lloyd & Maria Farantouri | C. Chaplin: The Gold Rush | Mary Linda in concert | Vitsentzos Kornaros: Erotokritos
- September 2013: Aristophanes, Peace | Carmen & Bolero (dance)
- July 2013: Greek Festival 2013: Diana Krall in concert | Greek Festival: Charis Alexiou & Nouveau Sextet | Greek Festival: The Athens State Orchestra in concert | Greek Festival: D. Papadimitriou & F. Darra in concert | Greek Festival: Euripides, Helen
- June 2013: Greek Festival: R.Wagner, The flying Dutchman | Greek Festival 2013: Patti Smith in concert | Greek Festival: G. Verdi, Requiem | Greek Festival: Thanos Mikroutsikos in concert
- September 2012: Ecclesiazusae by Aristophanes | Oedipus Rex by Sophocles | The Knights by Aristophanes | Ballet Gala – Meet the Stars | Montserrat Caballé in concert
- August 2012: The Birds by Aristophanes | Mario Frangoulis in concert
- July 2012: Concert by the Athens State Orchestra | A tribute to Domna Samiou | Dance: Sasha Waltz & guests in “Continu” | Mikis Theodorakis: Canto General | Greek National Opera: Giacomo Puccini, Tosca
- June 2012: Greek National Opera: Giuseppe Verdi, Il Trovatore | Concert by the Thessaloniki State Orchestra | A tribute to Markos Vamvakaris | Concert by the Athens State Orchestra