Athens – Pallas Theatre
The Pallas Theater is situated inside the CityLink block on Voukourestiou Street, one of the city’s most important commercial streets, close to Syntagma Square.
The theatre is provided with all the necessary technological equipment to stage all kinds of productions. The capacity of the theatre is 1500 seats and the theatre implements all the safety measures for both the smooth running of performances and for audience safety.
The Pallas, the most remarkable picture-house of the interwar period, was built between 1931 and 1933. Its layout reveals influences from the Elysian Fields Theatre and a morphological affinity with two other buildings of Paris, the Pigalle Theatre and, more significantly, the elegant cinema Pathe-Marignan. As one of the country’s few auditoriums up to European standards, the Pallas, prior to its opening, was advertised as “the most imposing theatrical colossus of the Balkans” with 2750 seats, the most modern mechanical installations for a cinema/theatre, with 50 dressing-rooms and a space for an orchestra of 150 musicians, and with “the most beautiful, comfortable and aristocratic foyer” (more on theatre’s history…).
The theatre went through an extended renovation between 1959 and 1960. The contaporary, renovated and restored Pallas, opened its gates to the public on 24 November 2006 with Dimitri Papaiyannou’s performance “2”.
- October 2013: Joshua Redman Quartet